December 18, 2009

A Suggestion

Suggestions and thoughts have been flying in recent days, because, if we're honest, these elections have become a thing to hate. In fact, some have hated it, perhaps to a degree which will never lead them our collective way again. To say this was either sad, bad, or horrible would not convey effectively what they have become. Islas elections were, as someone has recently said, started for fun. We began merely to entertain ourselves. And, to tell the truth, we got more good out of Mr. Ahern than we could have expected. Given the elections this year, and the arguments, discussions, and private thoughts that have more than flown around in recent days, I believe we can all say Mr. Ahern was no bad thing for Islas.

However, unlike my anonymous colleague, I think John might actually positively not want to be president any more. His reasons for this we do not know. If Miss Dage's example is anything to heed, we might do well to either heed his wishes, or to determine whether they are quite as serious.

Even then, I think there might be a better option. My suggestion? Even now, I doubt my own judgement in suggesting this as a reasonable idea for an election system in Islas, but, even so, I will continue.

In all seriousness, how much role did Mr. Embrey play in Mr. Ahern's administration proceeding the elections? For one, I doubt he played much of a significant role. However, that is merely a minor point of my suggestion.

Essentially, I suggest election by blind, write-in ballot. There would be no campaigning, no talk about what would be done by this administration or this administration. The elected would merely be there for our amusement. I think, reasonably speaking, we would have to allow candidates to decide not to accept this position.

Supposing people vote rationally, and don't desire someone in the presidency/ministry/whatever who will be decidedly boring, or worse, nonexistent, we ought to find ourselves electing someone, without trouble, argument, or, if you choose, even knowledge of others' votes (entirely dependent on individuals).

All understood? Any questions? Critique? Insults?


!Noah!

No comments: