September 19, 2009

The Meaning of Life

Ok, just so you know, I'm not writing this because I think I have the answer, but because I think the question's not clear. If I were asked what the meaning of life was, I'd ask for elaboration, possibly right away. Either that or immediately rephrase the question myself.

What is the meaning of life?

Just look at it. Am I supposed to define the word "life"? I kinda doubt that was the intention. Also, we can't really say the meaning of life is even, "To glorify God and enjoy him forever," as the definition of, "life" as our culture would put it, definitely isn't something eternal. If we're to understand life as something that doesn't end at the death we will all know, then you could rephrase the question...

What is the purpose of man's existence?

This way, I think, the question is clear enough that I could answer it with the answer to the first question of the Westminister Shorter Chatechism, "Man's cheif end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever."

I got an answer, but not to the original question. Who ever made that question up, anyway?

Irrevocably yours,


!Noah!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH!
Man's chief end is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever!

YAYAYAYAYAY!
Doesn't that jus give you a warm and fuzzy feeling?

Erin said...

dang, that was me.

The Tolkienist said...

To understand a question is to be able to rephrase the question. It must therefore be the same with the answer.

Rephrase it. What does "to glorify God and enjoy him forever" mean?