May 21, 2009

The End

No, sadly, I am not going to write a wondrous work of fiction right now. I'm just madly cogitating on the stupidity it would take a human to arrive at this point, near the end of one's Latin studies, and still feel like an entirely miserable student.

For a little background, I started studying Latin early the year before last. I was originally studying at RCA, with Magistra, for those of you who know her. I've been fairly miserable, even for an avid procrastinator, all my life. I feel that part of my abysmal failure to adjust to Magistra's tried and tested system was obviously that. Still, I think I had valid, if devilishly weak, points against that system. I'm not going into it, to spare my memory the trouble.

A week or so later, I got fed up and switched to Miss D's class on SO. (for those of you who are finding these two acronyms totally ambiguous and confusing, I humbly suggest you stop reading before I decide to tell you.) I entered late, but I got in. Now that I think about it, I may have given Miss D. a pleasant surprise. Regardless, I entered. At this try, I was more aware of the money it would cost to exit from the course, and, I hope, put more effort into it. However, my efforts eventually decreased to a point where eighty percent of my translations didn't make sense before class, and, say, ten percent didn't afterwords.

Admittedly, if I were speaking to you face to face, you would see my face redden quite significantly now. I really am rather ashamed of it. My scores, though, have been fairly good. I'd guess my overall score for the whole course is easily higher than eighty percent, and possibly higher than ninty. Still, I feel like I don't even know the language. Really. After having finished the last quiz (not to be confused with the horribly feared exams), I really ought to have a good grip of the language, and actually believe I do. I honestly don't know whether I know the language well, or I know some vocabulary, a declension or two, and some other random stuff. I honestly was looking for more in studying Latin, without, I'm afraid, as a horrible sherking loser, doing the whole four years.

I come to the last exam, feeling unprepared, and, honestly, not really doing much about it. I wish I were, because I feel like I'm not only wasting my own time, my parents' money, and my teacher's time, but just the chance to learn something that will probably be of significant use either in further life, or, possibly included in the latter, fatherhood.

Miserably,


!Noah!

No comments: