August 29, 2008

The Case for CRTs over LCDs

This is very personal, meaning that all my reasons for loving CRTs against LCDs aren't from other sources.

Ok. Sometime along in March of this year, I went to a Hamfest in Buffalo, Minnesota. The biggest and best thing I got there was my new, twenty-one inch CRT monitor. For two dollars.

Just recently, Daddy bought a 22 inch LCD. It's pretty, bright, and big, but it doesn't have the same, awesome, high resolution that my CRT has. It goes to a standard (for such a size) of 1680x1050. My CRT goes to a nearly unbeatable 2048x1536. And there's the small detail that the LCD cost a hundred times more, though I did get my CRT second hand.

I, myself, am more interested in pixels when it comes to screen real-estate. Inches aren't really important to me, as long as it's a fairly good amount.

Oh. Right. There's the little bit about resolution scalability. With LCDs, you've got a great aspect ratio for, say, a widescreen movie. But when you try playing a rather old game, like, say, Age of Empires I or II, (or Dune 2000) the pixels on the LCDs are...not the same...to say the least. The 640x480 (I think) image which Dune 2000 outputs at all times is not only changed in aspect ratio, but the pixels are stretched over two times their height, and something like two and a half times their width. The effect is, to say the least, displeasing.

So, the day when 30 inch LCDs are two dollars...I'll buy one.

But, honestly, the 22 inch ones aren't SO bad...


!Noah!

No comments: