December 26, 2008

Tower Defense. Times Five.

Some of you may have noticed, in recent days, that us Bertilsons, or some of us, anyway, have been playing games, the names of which probably only lead you into confusion. Anyway, I've decided to compile a small list of the ones we most play.

I'm not sure which we came across first, but it was probably either...

Desktop Tower Defense 1.5 (handdrawngames.com)


 This game has been fun for a long time, but I've found some others that I like more now than this. Also, there's the more recent version of DTD, v.
1.9.
DTD 1.9 (
http://www.casualcollective.com/games/DesktopTD)


Another fine game we came across was Flash Element Tower Defense, AKA FETD. I think it was originally based off Warcraft or something. The graphics are, on the large part, unscalable, which means that, when downloaded and played full-screen in Firefox or something, it looks fairly deplorable. Still, we do it quite often.
Flash Element Tower Defense 1.0 (
http://www.novelconcepts.co.uk/FlashElementTD1/ )


The sequel to that, FETD 2.0, is much better, but both Kongregate and The Casual Collective have started the really, really annoying habit of making their .SWFs only playable online. (this applies to DTD 1.5 and 1.9, also) Much better graphics. I think they're scalable, but that doesn't matter any more, does it?


FETD 2.0 (
http://www.novelconcepts.co.uk/FlashElementTD2/)


Last, but not least, as everyone seems to like to say, Onslaught 2.2. This game has a capability which I haven't found in any other game, and it's just, well, for lack of a better word, cool. In Onslaught, you can modify the damage a tower inflicts, the range it can inflict it at, and the rate at which it inflicts it...all this,
individually. Yes, I mean that, if I want, I can have a tower that can reach basically across the map and does fairly little damage, or a tower that can inflict a huge amount of damage at low range, and a tower that can inflict many iterations of damage...

Anyway. I hope you get it, because, aside from fairly worthless graphics, it's one of the coolest flash games I've ever played.

Onslaught 2.2 (
http://onslaught.playr.co.uk/)


This one, too, cannot be played offline, but, if you find the .swf in the page source like I did in the picture, you'll be able to play it full-screen...while you're online.

Flash games are amazing. There are others I've enjoyed more than these ones, but these are probably the ones that require the most thought. *coughs*

Your ever brain and eyeball-rotting reporter,


!Noah!

No comments: