December 16, 2008

Some Random Software Recommendations

If I'm correct, everything in this list is entirely free, and a good portion of them are open source.
(if you don't already know what open source means, Wikipedia is your friend)

1. Inkscape. (inkscape.org) This is a free, open source program for scalable vector graphics (.svg) creation and editing. It holds one of the highest ranks among all the software I have. I use it frequently, and the amount you can do with it is, to say the least, satisfying.

2. Blender. (blender.org) This is a free, open source program in which you can create 3D objects. There's tons more it can do, including movie sequencing, but I haven't got into such stuff much.

3. The GIMP. (GNU Image Manipulation Program, gimp.org) This is basically an advanced image editing program. There are so many things you can do in the GIMP that numbering them is not unlike numbering the stars. Frequently cited as an alternative to Photoshop. Free, open source, again.

4. VLC. (videolan.org (not videoland, videolan)) This is a multimedia player. The number of file types this single program can play is astounding. I'm pretty sure no other media player comes close. I haven't found out how to make a permanent media library in it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible. You can also play DVDs right out of the box. (oh, yes. Out of the box with all the other file types, too)

5. Google Chrome. (google.com/chrome) A fine web browser. Not a whole lot to be excited about, in my opinion, but I've gotten so that I dislike Firefox by comparison. If that says anything, happy day. I've been told that it's open source, but I'm not sure. It's free for sure, though.

6. Audacity. (audacity.org?) An audio editor with a lot of capabilities. Free, open source, again.

7. Picasa. (picasa.com?) The best photo organizer I've ever used. This doens't say a whole lot, considering I've only used two or three, though. Not open source, I think, but free.

8. LDraw. (ldraw.org) Free program for Lego CAD. Parts aren't all there, and, as I recall, LDraw's part development slowed down dangerously around 2005.

9. Openoffice.org. (openoffice.org) Free, open source word processor. New version 3.0 released 
very recently. I've been annoyed with its install size, but it's got to be big, I think.

10. Yo Frankie. (yofrankie.org) Free, open source game. Made in Blender. With Blender, you can make your own levels fairly easily and, with some difficultly, new characters. Works better with higher-end graphics card, but can run fairly well on low settings on, in my case, a GeForce 5600 XT.

11. Google Earth. (earth.google.com) Free globe explorer type thing. I find it enjoyable to look for uninhabited islands which I might decide to go off and live on.

12. Glest. (glest.org) Goodness, I wonder why I didn't put this higher. Anyhow, it's free, open source. It's a low-poly RTS game, basically, with constant development. There's also the Glest Advanced Engine, which adds a good bunch of helpful additions which aid half-dead AoE I/II nerds.

I hope some of these will end up in talented hands and do some good in the world of insanely useful software.

Your endlessly procrastinating, totally depraved, and in all other ways, sinful reporter,


!Noah!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

earth.google.com

HTH. :)