December 29, 2008

Oh, Just go Jump off a Cliff

I finished Shadow Puppets recently.


It's good.


Really good.


One aspect of why it was good?

Quite simply, the protagonist killed the antagonist. Not in much of a fair fight, either. Er. In the protagonist's favor, by the way.



What's the big deal? How many heroes from other books have done this? Oh, bother, I already had about three examples set up from movies, instead...


Anyway, I think the number is pretty little. People don't seem to care enough to take preemptive action against pathelogical killers. Examples? Spider Man. Ok, the enemies in these three almost all either came to their deaths by their own hands, or heroically died carrying a certain large mass of energy into a highly undisclosed river. Why is it undisclosed? Look, I'm not the one witholding information. It's Marvel or something. Blame them.


Sorry, but, yes, the other two of mine are examples from superhero movies.


Batman. He's never killed anybody intentionally, to stop future acts of murder and other evil. He didn't kill the Scarecrow, he didn't kill the Joker, and I don't think he's going to kill any of the other fine gentlemen who will, at one time or another, cross his path. Two-Face? One, I'm personally not sure he's dead, and, two, that was an act to prevent murder just split seconds after Batman found out the certain person would be killed. Hardly preemtive.


Superman? Urgh. I forgot. I don't know him too well. Anyway, he's usually (in the cartoons) had to fight robots, clones, or strangely strong men who have really, really lame nicknames. He gets shot a bunch, all the bullets bounce all over the place, he bashes the guys up a bit, flies off with LL, and...


Anyway. That last example was really not a good one...


So...go jump off a cliff. No, I'm not addressing you, my readers.


Anyhow, thanks, OSC, for authoritatively creating a Bean who'd just kill a guy like that.


Emotions are dangerous. That may sound off-topic or something, but I had to say it.


Your confused, sinful, and all-around depressed writer,




!Noah!

No comments: