December 05, 2008

Best Friends

It has bothered me for a while how some people refer to the best and the brightest of their friends, for lack of a more illustrious and exciting word. More than frequently, a certain friend will be referred to as "best". I find this, first, degrading to all other friends the person has, whether or not they hear the statement...two, er...two...naw. Never thought of a two.

Anyway.

I also find it profusely annoying when husbands and wives call each other best friends. Shouldn't marriage be so much farther above mere friendship?

If your wife should be your best friend, why shouldn't it be Jesus, or God instead? Just taking Jesus, he's done a billion times (and many more) what any of your other friends (aye, even spouses) will manage to in their entire life!

But, then, now that I think about it, how many friendships are formed merely because one or both parties have given up their lives for each other?

Not many, I guess.

I, personally, refrain from using the superlative when it comes to humans. Actually, I've been somewhat well set against grading movies too. In a comparative scale, that is. Judge movies alone, with no intent to judge them against others, and I think I'm happy. But, then, since when has anybody's goal in life to make me happy? *grabs Uzi and glares around*

Anywho, thanks, all ye good friends of mine. You've obviously made my past greater than I could alone, and ensured my future to be something to anticipate with either bated breath or fearing whatever. Thanks to you, I've a greater chance of being killed in a car accident, walking under ladders, seeing black cats over my left shoulder, and so much more.

Oh, yes. I perfer to refer to friends as "very good" or, "good friend(s)".


!Noah!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recommend that you read "The Four Loves" by C.S. Lewis.

Friendship and other types of love are NOT mutually exclusive.

Mark

Иơαħ said...

Actually, I have heard of the Four Loves. I can't exactly remember what they are, but...

If friendship and other types of love are not mutually exclusive, does that necessarily mean that spouses ought to call each other their best friends?


!Noah!

Anonymous said...

You said they should not be 'friends' as they should have another type of love.

But those loves are very different things and are not mutually exclusive. So it means that, contrary to your post, there's nothing wrong with them saying that. At least, for the reasons you stated.

Miss Lyss said...

Eh I don't think there is anything wrong with having (a) best friend(s). It just means that you have a friend that you get along with better then others. The rest are good friends or acquaintance friends

whatevah.

ErinS said...

Well, when I think of best, I think of closest. Which is why I tend not to mind if I hear people use "best". On the other hand, I think you do have a point. Some people won't think of "best" the same way, so I do think that refraining from "best" and using a word that everyone knows exactly what you mean by it is preferable.