September 03, 2012

Ice Cube Tray Logic

I seriously need a do not disturb sign for my computer.

Why?

Because I feel like it. A lot. Maybe not much of the time, but when I feel like hanging a do not disturb sign somewhere nearby, I REALLY feel like doing it.

It's not you, it's me.

Well, that's comforting. To no one.

I once asked how to spell no one, because I thought it ought to be one word.

Noone.

I may have met a girl once by that surname.

More likely it was spelled Noon, but that's beside the point.

So over the last few weeks, I've been trying to figure something out. Namely, who it is who leaves the ice cube tray with either zero cubes, one cube, or just a bunch of broken fragments in it.

Most of the time, I say to myself, Take it, Noah, it's not like you can change them. It's not like it would be profitable to call the family together, ask who does it, and squash that proverbial bug, but I still want to.

What happens a lot is that I say, hey, I'll take two cubes and leave two, and someone else will empty it.

And then I keep thinking, "Karma, Noah, karma."

Because they're always still there.

I tried another method. Simply empty the trays and leave them there.

That didn't work very well either. After a couple days of that, I ended up refilling the trays today myself.

It's stupid that I should ever have to think that I'm the only one who does anything, but I'm guessing it's not just me. Are we all wrong, are we all right, and does it even matter?

I found out within the last couple days that my computer has several flaws. First, two of my four memory slots are nonfunctional. Inserting memory into them results in a total freeze (can't even muster a BSOD) and necessitates a reboot.

Life is so complicated.

Last night I thought I'd start a how-to channel on Youtube, and today I realize that the microphone I purchased mere days ago, combined with the positively awful Realtek audio, doesn't record at normal volume levels unless I amp it up 30 decibels. The alternative is to use one of the dozen or so USB headsets Daddy got a few days ago for a buck apiece, but the audio quality should be much worse.

The electric griddle is flakey.

Daddy turned the proxy back on for our network.

The effect of this is to make a number of things impossible. Some of them are necessary or worthwhile, but most of what it stops is us kids doing fun and useful things. I hate it.

Because of this, I use a neighbor's internet connection to do this. It's faster, most of the time, but it's fickle. People can join it at will, and that probably means a few dozen people are using it most of the time.

I'm not complaining. Not about the internet connection, I mean.

And despite the fact that I don't have enough money to rub Franklin's two cheeks together, I'm spending and thinking about spending all day long.

Everything seems so pointless. Resistance especially. I wanted to DO something with my life, but at every turn it, seems like either I don't have the motivation, or a nuke-proof brick wall is in my way.

And the girl? She kissed another guy months ago. So what? That's what I keep asking, but what possible reason would she kiss him if she not only loved him, but also wanted to...

The possibility has been suggested to me that she's "just that kind of girl." That she'd "play the field," so to speak.

It hadn't really occurred to me before, actually, but it doesn't come as a surprise, somehow.

I just hope she doesn't try to play on my corner of the field.


!Noah!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Dude. You have your entire life in front of you. Stop wasting time. Go and do something.