April 21, 2012

I've Never Ripped off a Limb Before

Let me explain. No, heck, I won't explain. You guys probably get it by now. Hopeless romantic, can't stop crushing, I could say so much more, but it should be clear if you've read half this blog. Which would be a pretty big feat, I should remind you.

So I need to change. This constant obsession with a single girl (both single in the sense of being just one person, and in the sense of being unhitched) is really getting in the way of me doing useful things, loving people, loving God.

But how? I want her!

Like, really badly.

So?  You've liked girls a lot before. You'll forget it, of course, but mere months ago, you were obsessed with this other girl. Let's call her Girl Q, just for the heck of it. She was similar in a lot of ways. She laughed! She smiled! She joked, she did interesting things, she had a few ridiculous quirks in common with you.

But what of it? My heart is elsewhere now!

So? It all changes. It all ends, even. The simple truth is that, while not taking the position of a miser of time, never waiting, never patient, always doing, always thinking, always dreaming, you similarly can't live your life with no time to do nothing, but neither can you live your life with only time to obsess, dream, hope, and be eventually crushed in dissatisfaction and folly.

But isn't this the way it's figured out? Isn't that how it's done? Trial and error?

Sure, but trial doesn't have to be blind, neither error meaningless. If you don't think about what you're trying beforehand, how can you change? Similarly, if you don't understand your error, how can you learn from it?

But when is that moment? When am I sure? How can I know? I wish I did! I've done nothing so long, for the simple reason that I knew I was ignorant!

I don't know, but since neither of us do, you might as well wait until you do. It'll be like a thousand mosquito bites all asking you to swat them, but you can do it, if you really try. Naturally, the God of the universe can help as well.

Sigh. It had to come to this at some point. Patience, like always, but also love, like never. This is going to be a rough ride.

(Garg contributed to this post.)


!Noah!

5 comments:

Jasmine Ruigrok said...

I feel compelled to tell you of a revelation I received at church once; the, sob-your-heart-out kind of revelation. I don't even know if it actually applies to your situation, but I'll share it anyway!

The thing is, no matter how hard you try to "do" things, you will never be like Jesus. And that was huge for me. No matter what you do, you'll never become like Jesus.

What then? You let Jesus become you. God didn't want us to be like Jesus, He wanted Jesus to live through us; using our own unique desires and talents Himself. And the way we allow Jesus to manifest in our lives (for He already lives in us) is to draw closer to Him through the study of His Word.

That was a bit rambly, but I felt to share it.

Иơαħ said...

Thanks. You're probably right. I've not been reading my Bible much recently.


!Noah!

Kakhipants said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kakhipants said...

Noah, :)

I know you're not Catholic, but I think you would find a lot of help/peace/clarity in either of these two books:
Consoling the Heart of Jesus by Fr. Michael Gaitley, MIC
and The Story of a Soul, autobiography of St. Therese of Lisiuex.

The wonderful thing about you and the crazy complexity in your mind and heart right now is that it's all really so simple! And it can all be made a beautiful gift to God! Let God have you, give yourself completely to Him. And just thank Him for everything, because everything He does is for your good (Romans 8:28 :) ), even if you feel like you're in the crazy murkiness of confusion and wonder about your feelings.

Your feelings are great, Noah :) There's nothing wrong. Just give yourself to God. Totally trust Him. I promise, He'll bless you more than you can imagine. Just trust, and wait. Go prepare your fields for rain :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN_DKPCFrJ4


And don't think you're alone! So many of the people who are IN HEAVEN RIGHT NOW, in perfect happiness, unspeakable bliss, crystal clear clarity, went through things just like what you've been going through these years. They prayed to Our Lord, and little by little they were healed. And they attest to the greatness of suffering, and all the merit it can have :) If you give your suffering to God every time you feel it (which could be constantly), you'll probably find it easier to hold, because you're realizing that He's already held it for you when He carried His Cross. And He held it for you so that you could rise with Him! That's what He wants! And He's more than ready to give it!


God bless you, Noah! Hang in there! It won't last forever, and while it does last you can sanctify it and grow to be fond of it - in a strange way. Fond of sadness.. seems like a paradox but it actually can happen, does happen.


And frequent the invocation of Our Lord Jesus' name, and the reading of Sacred Scripture. Any demons that might try pulling you down away from Our Lord simply shudder at those beautiful things.


God bless :) I'll be praying for you!

-Catie

Anonymous said...

We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone fully mature in Christ. To this end I (you, Noah) strenuously contend with all the energy Christ so powerfully works in [you].
Colossians 1:28-29

Do not use this energy he's given you in vain.

~A Friend