April 21, 2012

Absolutely Nothing


The translation being I need to do better.

(for those wondering, this is a response to Bush Maid's comment on my previous post.)

But I can't do better separate from God. Am I separate from God? No? Well, then why can't I be better? Because I don't believe? My faith is from God alone. But something must be mine! But no, nothing is mine. No action, no thought, no intention, no well-placed advice, no pride, no goodness, no honesty, no meekness, no money, no family, no badly-chosen shades, no silvery silence, no joyful noise, no happiness, no wonder, no glory, no love.

Nothing.

But Jesus' love! That must be mine. His actions, his thoughts, his intentions, his fabulous parables, his pride, his goodness, his honesty, his meekness, his riches, his family the church, his well-seeing eyesight, his unwavering silence, his good words, his happiness, his wonder, his glory, his love.

But is it? How can it be? In order for it to be mine, I must have something. Right? No? Then how am I different from the heathens? How have I become his, if not solely, absolutely only because of his love and choice? Am I merely blinded by the human idea of exchange? Is giving simply not human? Is it merely not something we understand, in our heart of hearts, in the deepest chasm of our being? But are we not in his image? Have we not some essence of the God we are called to love? Is that it? Do we give him what he first gave us, and in return he gives us more?

“For who has known the mind of the Lord,
or who has been his counselor?” -- Romans 11:34

"Speak to me, God, that I may have words to say! Think, that I may think as well! Dream, wonder, love, hate, imagine, work, love, LOVE, LOVE, that I may too love. I am nothing!" -- Swishkin


!Noah!

No comments: