November 09, 2008

Notes on Obama, pt. 2

Once again, for the purpose of clean and reasonable writing, I must introduce my post with the words, "Obama has won." Obama has won. There is no doubt about this, it is now unchangable, and we have to accept it.


Think back to 2000. Bush won the electoral collage, but not the popular vote. My memory of that time isn't perfect, but I believe many threatened to leave the country. I've heard that no such migration has happened. For this, I can congratulate some liberals for, if not honesty, perseverance. They said they'd leave, yet they did not give up on their country. I'd suggest few conservatives are near this level of disgust or objection to Obama's election. For that, we should congratulate our fellow conservatives, or, in the case of the few Democrats reading, your fellow Americans. 


Have we, as Republicans, given up on our country merely because a man we opposed has come into a position in which he deserves not only our respect, but our support where we can give it, and our opposition where we believe it is deserved? Have we given up on our party for merely losing an election? I hope not. Our two-party system is part of what makes America be America. Our division is part of what makes us one and indivisible. Because two parties are capable of putting an officer in the highest office in the country, our party is less capable of corrupting itself than if there were only a Republican Party.


This, however, does not mean we cannot come together to do things we agree on. Think of Bush. Democrats have attacked him to a degree which is so disgusting and revealing, that the one best response is to act in mercy and just judgment when a Democrat (or, if you wish, a leftist) is in the Oval Office. Democrats have, largely, acted despicable toward Bush. I don't know what others' views of Bush are as he prepares to leave office, but, merely for the fact that he did not attack back, I honor him.


What image will our country have of the Grand Old Party if we attack Obama as if he were the Antichrist? With a simple view of preserving our party, should we do so? If Democrats are largely incapable of being decent, should we follow their example? An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth?


...as for me, I will support him where I can, and oppose him where I must. My support or opposition may not seem important, but I would have my readers know that I accept that Obama will be my president, and I will support him where I can. God Bless Barack Obama, and God Bless America.




!Noah!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know I saw a thanksgiving day card at the store that said something like "this thanksgiving you really have something to be thankful for" and a picture of Bush on it. And a countdown until when Bush would leave. Fun,eh?

Иơαħ said...

A fine example of a less vulgar and more decent opposition to him...but, there's still that presupposition that the world will be better without him in the oval office, and, hem, someone else there instead.


!Noah!

The Tolkienist said...

I do not like Obama, and I do not think him a Christian. But, last night in my youth care-group, we talked about Obama and what a Biblical attitude to him. Someone said that if God called Obama to Him, it would be one of the greatest ironies of our time. I'm praying that that happens, and Obama does a 180; it would be sooooooo sweet!

Иơαħ said...

Wait. If Obama can do a 180, then I can. He is a sinner. He is not Satan. He is not currently anywhere near the level of depravedness to which Satan has come. If him doing a 180 would make him better, he could not be elected by America today. Great irony? Sure. If you refine Christian to a narrow, though honest, definition which us, er, reformed type people would, then, sure, I don't believe he is a Christian. Him doing a 180 would be nowhere near as good as, I think, Hitler, Stalin, or that crazy Italian guy. He's not that radical. To us Americans, who have been blessed for centuries with unequaled freedom, a man as radical as he is is somewhat terrifying.

(Sorry I was so disjointed there. Lots of art class and having to do schoolwork for today and tomorrow...)


!Noah!