September 07, 2011

Easy A

Yeah.

I guess I won't comment on why I watched it, but I felt like it was worth writing about in some length or another.

Anywho. If you want to watch this movie, don't read this. Yet.

I don't know why, but I liked this movie. Not a ton, but I did. The humor was alright, (some) of the characters good, and the whole confession thing gets me every time.

If you don't know, for some reason, Easy A is about a girl in highschool who ends up, by a series of decisions and circumstances, thought of by her school as a slut. This came about because she pretended to sleep with this one guy because he wanted to be relieved of the troubles that are being gay. One thing led to another, and she'd "slept" with the whole school, if hyperbole is fine with you.

I think why I liked the movie wasn't because of the sex (little or none of it though there was) or the talk thereof, but rather because of the effects her lies had on her life.

Gah, it sounds really unpleasantly typical that way. I guess I found myself thinking, "This really could happen!"

Or so I think. It seemed believable. I still think it is. But the point is it was real. Actions had consequences. She originally thought having sex wouldn't be fine, but pretending to would be, but in the end, it seemed like she just might have seen that lies have their own consequences.

I don't write about movies often, and even less so because they really got to me in some way. I guess I'm sort of a truth freak. An honest guy. Granted, I don't tell the truth all the time, and I quite frequently lie instead. I'm not perfect, nor close to it.

But I appreciate the difficulty and weight of honesty. Lies are easy.

I think it would be stupid to say this movie amounted to a moral about lies and their consequences. There's more to it than that. A bit of humor, of course. Heck, it's a story! And the way it's told is a way I like, I think.

You know. Author inserts comment here, author issues warning there, author denies liability for injuries sustained while perusing this book.

Stuff like that.

They/she didn't do it as well as me, granted, but it was nice nonetheless.

Aah, the Christians.

I was honestly alright with what they did with us. Sure, they made nutjobs and oddballs and bossy girls the bringers of Good News, but they didn't do much more than that. For a second I thought she'd even go the whole hog and actually understand some words from the Bible, but no such luck. Pretty dang close.

I think it was true. For me, that's all there needs to be in a story. It might not be good because of it, it might not be beautiful because of it, but truth I do adore.

I'm not going to rate it. If you're above the age of seventeen, I'll recommend it, but mildly. The worth of the movie separate from the message is probably minimal.

The movie has minimal violence, little nudity, no sex but a good few minutes pretending, and plenty of language.


!Noah!

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

I appreciate philosophical movie reviews and you've done just that. I agree with all of the above statements...

Lies really can do that... kinda terrifying.