October 12, 2009

Picture Description...'cause I don't have anything else.

For lack of something specifically created for all you people, I once again am posting a writing assignment of mine. I'm not nearly as proud of this one as of the other one. The thing was to describe a scene in a picture as if you were there.


As I walked down the rather narrow passageway between stalls of lush, colorful merchandise in the Old City, I had to watch my step on the well-polished, but roughly cobbled pathway. Salesmen were reading newspapers and books, seemingly without much to do, others looking mildly bored, as I cast my gaze around me. The sky was nearly blocked out because of the numerous artifacts of cloth hanging from poles mounted between houses. There was copious cloth everywhere, to be truthful.

A jeweler on my right took his attention from his newspaper to look at me somewhat inquiringly. I moved on more quickly; I had nearly no money to spend. Just a little ahead of me, another group of tourists were walking toward me, only one of which had stopped and seemed to be paying much attention to the wonderful variety of colors around her.

Further on, a carpet hanging down reminded me of a birthday card I once received, darkish red and dull orange. As I passed it, I turned my head again, and saw some bagged chips, well overpriced, yet rather appealing. I began to walk more quickly.

I looked back where I'd come from; likely thousands of colors were still visible, cloths hanging and draping over every available space or thing, jewelry hanging from any similarly capable surface. I almost collided with someone much like me, walking while looking backwards. We both apologized profusely, almost entirely failing to hide our wide, embarrassed grins.

I continued over the cobbles, watching around me. More beautifully crafted, ridiculously colorful rugs and carpets came into clear view, their hue and variety dazzling me. Cloths of types and varieties too numerous to count spread all around me, some light, some dark, some checkered, some plain, some almost transparent, some entirely opaque. Red, blue, yellow, orange, green--these are a mere few of the colors I saw, and those only the ones I feel able to describe.

The Old City's market was an amazing experience for one who had never seen it before. The feel of the uneven cobbles, the rare, wonderful smell, the fantastic, utterly and always-varying colors, and the kind people, will doubtless remain vivid memories in my mind for decades.





!Noah!

2 comments:

Stella said...

Personally, I prefer this composition much more than the other. It was enjoyable to read and made we want to be on that walk. Great job.

Stella said...

*me I meant not we :P