May 13, 2021

History, Engagement, and Recovery

 It's been a while.

So, over the last year and a half, I learned to walk again, decided to pursue my dreams, met someone special, got engaged, got disengaged, and quit my job.

I mean, obviously that's a brief version, but part of that journey revealed the vulnerability I show in this blog, and how it can be misused. For a month or so here, I've had it private for that reason.

Still, while people may see plenty of things about me which I might not want them to, I also get to see how they judge me earlier than I otherwise would.

I guess it's not a great practice: allowing others to judge quickly so I can do the same...

But I choose to boundary myself from those who judge so quickly and easily; I'm not perfect, and I know it. I have many things to improve in my life, and I'm working on it. If you see my flaws and want to walk away, do so; I'm not here to prove myself to you.

Recently, I purchased a Raspberry Pi Zero W, which has allowed me to install a Linux system on a very small computer, play xgalaga-hyperspace on said computer, and learn more about Linux along the way.

It's been a very engaging tinkering project, and has distracted me somewhat from my Cisco Certified Network Administrator studies. Still, I'm picking up the material pretty well, and I think I'm doing fairly well, all things considered.

Learning about networking via the CCNA course has made me better understand the issues with KPA's home network, but I don't feel like I understand enough to completely reconfigure our network...however, I do see some issues; we have two different networks in the house, one in the men's floor or both upper floors, and one in the basement. It means, in my case, that I can't remotely connect to my desktop from the men's floor WiFi or above. That might not matter for me, because I can be at my desk if I'm on the men's floor and all, but still...

It's irritating to have a network set up such that certain devices are inaccessible if you're on the wrong floor.

I also bought an EdgeRouter X, which could possibly bring good quality of service to KPA's network, if I can figure out how to set it all up.

I'm working on selling some assets I have, including the ring, some electronics, and maybe some other things.

Still, provided my budget remains pretty well within its bounds, I should be good for the remainder of my lease at KPA. I haven't reapplied, so I'm going to have to find somewhere else to live (unless another room is available and I finally apply...).

So, now I've got a car, which is a hassle to park and everything, and I have to constantly move it around...but I have a car, so I can go on a spontaneous road trip if I so choose. I can go get groceries whenever I want, and I can go to appointments and interviews without asking to borrow others' cars.

That's pretty cool. Still, the maintenance, gas, and parking expenses (time if not money) are a bit of a drag, in my book. On the other hand, I'm rarely paying for parking (except for a trio of consecutive tickets in April or thereabouts).

I'm doing well; that might seem like some sort of stoic resolution or whatever, but I'm genuinely grateful for every day, thankful for my singleness, and genuinely hopeful for a better relationship in the future.

It's been just over a month since we broke up, and the tears are long, long gone.

It's lunchtime.


Noah

No comments: