December 10, 2010

Alone

Significance.

I want it.

Perhaps you misheard me, didn't get the full effect, or any number of other possible mishaps. Let me say that more clearly.

I want it.


I want to be known, loved, and respected. But you are, you might say. Why else would you read this utterly depressing blog? Respect, knowledge, or love...they do seem like the biggest possible reasons you'd be here. But how many people do I know who actually checked this blog and asked for more even when nothing had come for months and months? Perhaps two.

Maybe I only crave the petty and worthless respect of princes and men, but I still feel alone. And, in many ways, that seems the only way I can be really respected. My words and actions when I do decide to act are such that I only regret them when they've happened, and fear them when they might. I realize that, most likely, the problem is solely between God and I, but the less I am known, let alone loved, the less I have any inclination to know or love anyone. However little I am trusted, so little do I trust.

My desires sabotage any attempt I make to become less alone. Further still, when I my plight reveal, I always fear I am but seeking pity, that when I look for comfort, it is unearned.

And where have I put God, that I could be where I am? Have my passions and the greatest desires of my heart put God on a barely sufficient back burner?

The worst? I don't trust myself enough to believe half of this when I most need to...and forget about ever hearing about it unless I know you well.

Ultimately, I know the root of my trouble must be sin, and doubtless mostly mine. Still, I am truly alone enough that no counsel is welcomed when found.

I have no happy ending for this post, no passage to suave my, nor anyone else's woes. If I did, I wouldn't be writing this. Honestly, I don't know what purpose this post will ultimately serve. What end is accomplished by it is beyond me.


!Noah!

3 comments:

John Ahern said...

Get used to the feeling. Everyone has it. Only remember, the feeling usually has nothing to do with reality. Feelings usually don't.

The Tolkienist said...

Don't know whether this helps, but in my Bible study in John, my teacher mentioned that, in John 15, the talk of love (agape/phile/dilectio) is followed so quickly by the world hating us; a reason? We should love each other as Christ first loved us 'cause nobody else (ie, the world) is going to do it.

I suppose that's just showing that your feelings aren't wrong *necessarily*—as the Ahern says, everyone has it... because it's part of being human-, but the best way to be loved, as the command at the end of the Good Samaritan or John 14-17 show, is to first love.

Nathan

Kakhipants said...

I knowww how you feel. It's quite annoying and depressing and all. The good thing though, is that it never lasts. So keep your chin up! :) Soon enough you'll be feeling significant and wanted and loved, etc..