April 07, 2008

Six Rotten Apples

Here are the two parts of my criticism on Apple hardware design.

Six Rotten Apples

Noah

part 1: the desktop


One of the greatest reasons that I do NOT buy Apple hardware is that Apple hardware is much too expensive. I have begun to think the greatest reason for this is that ALL Apple desktop computer hardware is specialized. There is quite a bit of chance this is less true when it comes to laptops, but that is for the other part. Let me explain what I mean:

  1. The iMac.

    I think the iMac is perhaps the closest to the most basic Mac, but there's one problem. It's an All-in-one. This at least likely, if not certainly raises its price beyond what I can pay, as well as many others.

  2. The Mac Pro

    The Mac Pro would also seem like a viable contender for the most basic Mac thing, but this is only because it looks remotely like your regular tower desktop. Three letters rocket it far from being anything like a normal desktop. P-R-O. Eight cores of Intel goodness, but wake up, more than half the consumer world could easily get by with one!

  3. The Mac Mini

    Many people seem to think the Mac Mini's price is some sort of miracle. I don't, at least not as much. The Mac Mini is above all, designed to be small. This, for one thing, compromises the inner hardware, as numerous people have noted, but the fact that they have to fit that hardware, however compromised, into such a small case makes the price even more unrealistic to someone looking for a simple solution for computers.

Now that I think about it, they are all made for different situations. They all have important similarities to a normal PC, but they add on extra power, subtract from the space it takes, or, in the case of the iMac, they make it an all in one.

If I could get the highest powered Mac mini for the same price as a regular old dual core PC (around $300), I'd consider it. Right now, it's double that. I'm not going to break the bank.

    I did not desire that this list or the details therein should be complete. This is but a summary of my objections to the suggestion of buying a Mac.


part 2: the laptop


Some of you likely think I could have no reason to say that Apple laptops are priced too high, or anything to that effect. As it is, I love the amazing amount of thought and care that has gone into the creation of the laptops from Apple. I must tell you that I am, for the most part, unable to get any new laptop, let alone a Mac. Therefore, most of the proceeding commentary will be total balderdash and humbug. Nevertheless, I will proceed.


  1. Macbook

    I had hoped that when the Macbook replaced the iBook, it would be sufficiently cheap for my needs. As it is, I think it was, at least in price, a downfall. If I were to be given an Apple laptop, I would choose this one.

  2. Macbook Pro

    In this computer also, the word Pro makes this computer much too expensive for me. But less importantly, I don't need that much power. It's much like the situation with the Mac Pro. Too much power=too much price.

  3. Macbook Air

    The Macbook Air is incredible, but, even though Steve Jobs claimed numerous times that this laptop was uncompromised, I believe that was a purposeful deception, in other words, a lie. It does not have a DVD drive. Steve Jobs may think that the innovations created to fill in this compromise are enough, but I disagree. I believe that the loss of the DVD drive cannot be overcome by anything outside a DVD drive itself. The Macbook Air may be stunning, but there may be a critical moment when it will be stunning for the consumer not to have one of the most critical parts of a computer.



I did not desire that this list or the details therein should be complete. This is just a summary of my objections to the suggestion of buying a Mac.


If I have made any inaccuracy or exclusion(specifically computers), I will be happy to correct or add on to this article for the sake of truth.


All in all, Apple hardware is designed exceptionally well, to say the least, and is amazing when it comes to aesthetic quality. My sole problem is that I cannot buy Apple hardware because of the simple matter of price. I can understand why it must be expensive, but is it of my concern that a company must earn its profits? No. It is probably neither of our faults, but all I can do is earn money myself, allowing myself to buy that which Apple makes. Bah. I'll stop ranting here.



In Christ,

Noah

No comments: